The days are beginning to get longer and the spring flowers are starting to appear. I have a Sigma 105 mm macro lens which I haven’t really used much so I thought I would have a play. This shot was taken on a tabletop with a mottled brown paper backdrop. I used a large octabox, fitted with a grid, camera right and a foam core board as a reflector. The light was provided by two cheap Aperlite speedlights, one in the softbox and one with a Rogue Flashbender grid on the background. I set a custom white balance in camera and did some basic processing on the resulting RAW file. The vignette was created by the lighting and not in post. Other processing was to bring out the vibrancy of the yellow colour of the daffodil.
I wanted to have a practice balancing flash and ambient light so I thought I would try and make a photo of an old neglected shed at the top of my garden. The aim was to get a good exposure for the light outside of the shed and add flash for the inside exposure. I was thinking black and white before I took the shot as I wanted to make use of the textures. After converting to mono in Photoshop I found that the ivy had got lost so the idea of a colour pop sprang to mind. I rarely do colour pop but I thought it worked well in this image.
What are your thoughts? Do you like colour pop photos, is this something you already do or does it have the same effect on you as over cooked HDR has on me (I’m not a big fan!)?
I decided to have a go at photographing some smoke. I set my camera on my tripod, put it into manual and used my Aperlite speed light in manual mode. I set the flash to 8th power which gave me an aperture of f5.6, the shutter speed was set at 1/160 ( to be honest I wasn’t too worried about the shutter speed just as long as it didn’t go above my flash sync speed). The flash was placed side on to the smoke and fired using a basic wireless trigger; the camera was pre-focused and as I use back button focusing the lens could safely be left on AF without the worry of the camera trying to refocus between shots.
I tried using a candle at first but the smoke that it gave off was a bit sparse and didn’t work very well. I think that people generally use incense sticks but I didn’t have any! I took a page out of a notebook and folded it into a kind of long stick and this worked well, I just had to be careful not to let the flame take hold for too long before I extinguished it to get the smoke.
I took the images into Photoshop, did a bit of transforming, added some coloured overlays and this is the result!